Sunday, February 12, 2012

Can we come back again tomorrow?

Instead of a Valentine's Day Party at school, our teachers planned a field trip to Feed My Starving Children for all of us to pack meals to send to children who don't have enough to eat.

I don't think any of us really knew what to expect, but I really don't think any of us thought it would be as much fun as it was... I asked my mom if we could go again the next day.  (She said no, I had school.) 

That's fine, I said.  Then, I had a great idea... I asked if I could have my birthday party there this year.  Let me tell you about the day... read it and let me know if you would like to be on the invite list. 

First, we got to leave school and take the bus to their place.  When we arrived we had to wash our hands and put on hair nets.  They had us all sit in a room to watch a video and explain what we would be doing.


Next, we went into a big room with a bunch of packing stations.  We all lined up around the room and got more instructions about how to pack the meals that would be shipped all over the world.


We broke up into teams and starting working.  It didn't really feel like work. 
We had a system and worked like a team. 



We got to try out all of the different parts of the process.


The different parts even have a little chant.... While one person is holding the bag on the funnel, a few other would pack in the food.... Chicken (powder), vegetables (dried), soy (powder) and rice.



They played music real loud and when we finished the 36 packs it took to fill a box
we got to yell our cheer (they called it that).  We decided ours would be:  "DINNER'S READY!!!!"

We would  also chant: chicken, veggies, soy, rice... as we put them in the funnel.

And sing songs together.....We packed 80 boxes during our 2 hour session.  1 box has 36 Manna packs, that's 2,880 meals we made...while having a great time, working together, helping other people.  Good stuff.


So.... Do you wanna go with next time???





4 comments:

  1. Tanner you should be proud of your generous contribution of time and energy for the needy. I would love to come to your next party!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for packing guys! As an employee at FMSC, it's always fun to hear about volunteer's packing experience. Hope to see you again soon.

    -Drew

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will be back in October for my birthday. Which location do you work at?

      Delete